Thursday, August 09, 2012

Bus Report #705

Last night I ran for the 38, after a lovely evening catching up with J. over tea at Samovar, Yerba Buena Center.
I caught the bus just as it was about to leave the stop. I was still trying to find my Clipper card as I walked up the stairs, and when I went to tag my card I came face to face with the Alien Donut Man.
He was in a seat by the door, sitting completely straight, upright, his feet in their orthopedic slippers, his parka zipped up to his neck. His white hair glowed under the flourescents.
He saw me and his eyes widened. He nodded his head slowly. Opened his mouth to say something, but no sound came out.
I was flustered - usually we catch sight of each other from a long way a way, with a street or a pane of glass between us.
I nodded at him and waved, mumbled a "Hello, nice to see you," and walked to the back of the bus.
I kept my eye on him, though.
People would get on and walk near him, sit beside him, and I wanted to tell them to be careful, to not touch him, that he was fragile and made from glass. He's not from here, I'd explain. Our gravity, it's too much for his bones, that's why he shuffles. I was ready to leap up, if necessary, and defend the Alien Donut Man if I had to.
I wondered if he was headed for the donut shop, or towards home. I got my answer at Larkin, when he slowly reached back and pulled the signal cord. The bus stopped and he stood up, leaning on his cane. He stepped down from the bus in slow motion, all the while keeping his perfect posture. As the bus pulled away I saw him through the window.
We caught each other's eyes, and smiled.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Marcher said...

Do you think ADM and LCM are friends? I'd like to see a "buddy" movie made about them- perhaps "Lethal Wind-breaker," or something along those lines.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This would be the best movie!
I can picture the ADM just sitting wherever, and the LCM running circles around him, and maybe a 'teamwork montage' of them winning the tournament or setting up the auditorium or painting a mural...
Or maybe they're assassins? Undercover?

4:33 PM  
Blogger John Marcher said...

Oh this sounds like a delightful move. Now all we need is David Lynch to direct it!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

The ADM could be played by either the giant from Twin Peaks, or maybe Kyle McLachlan. The LCM casting decisions would of course be up to you, and Mr. Lynch.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home