Monday, October 18, 2021

Bus Report #1071

I was planning to meet Michael and Austin at the SFMOMA on Sunday, so I kept my eye on the 38 and 38R schedule all morning. 
Ran out to catch the 38R, but it was late, of course. Time was ticking.
I chose to get on a regular 38 - which turned out to be a bad choice.
We crawled down Geary. Crawled. I'm not sure why as there wasn't much traffic, but it took 15 minutes to get to Masonic. Ridiculous. 
Then it was start and stop down to Van Ness.
Handsome kid waiting by Laguna, big colorful totebag on his shoulder.
At Gough, a man was camped out in the bus shelter. Started to move, slowly, to gather his things and get on the bus. The driver didn't open the back door, leaving the man and his bags to wait for the next bus.

Tenderloin architecture is a visual feast, and I filled up as we made our way down the hill. Some gorgeous buildings and building facades. Murals to rival anything in the Mission.

We flew the rest of the way  down O'Farrell, but I was already going to be late. Sometimes it happens like that.
Downtown is still so empty, it's weird.
Huge flagship stores on Powell, closed.
Chain cafes, closed.
Normally thronged blocks are now ghost towns.

But things are looking up, too. A few mom and pop places were open and doing brisk business, with their tables set outside.
Newly renovated buildings at Third and Mission looking so good, I practically swooned. Can a woman love new windows cut into old brick? This woman does.

The guys were at the museum before I was, but no harm done.
It was a pleasure to see them, and to be in one of my favorite places.
We saw a few exhibits and then headed out, but not before I stopped to see my favorite painting in the permanent collection.

"You were in and out real fast, huh?" asked the woman checking admissions.
"Just visiting an old friend," I replied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home