Thursday, October 13, 2016

Bus Report #937

On Tuesday I took the 19 Polk down to meet up with the Tuesday night folks at our cafe on Polk and Washington.

Just as the bus was turning from Larkin onto Geary, a petite, blond woman stepped off the curb. I thought she might get hit by the back wheels of our bus, but she didn't.

Instead, a man who had been talking to her as she walked rushed up behind her and slammed her in the back of the head, and she fell down into the gutter. The man shoved her and grabbed her bag. He stole something from her purse, but I couldn't see what it was. A bottle? A phone?

Everyone on the bus stood up, simultaneously exclaimed something - someone gasped, I think I said "Oh, god," or something similar, and several other people tried to get the driver's attention, or yelled out the window, or just went, "whoa, whoa, whoa."

The bus stopped to let people on and off.

I looked back to see what was happening. I wanted to call the police but by now, the woman had wandered off and the man had stalked down the sidewalk a few feet, then turned, yelled at someone, and then entered the building next to Woerner's Liquors. What could I even say? That the man had a blue shirt, the woman was blond and looked years older than she probably was, that they seemed to know each other?

I did nothing. Spent the rest of the evening hoping the woman was all right.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's terrible

i hope she is ok too.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Solo.
The saddest part for me was that she will see him again, and he will probably do it again.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home