Friday, March 20, 2015

Bus Report #864

Thursday midday, on the way back to work from meeting my cousin D. for lunch in the Mission.
I walked most of the way but cut over at Bryant to see if I could catch a 22 or a 55.

Waiting in the bus stop was a pretty woman with very long, delicate, thin dreadlocks. A Muni driver walked up and set his bag down beside her on the bench.

"Nice locs," he said, putting his bright yellow vest on over his uniform.

The woman smiled and said, "yours look great, too."

The woman stood up and moved outside the stop for a quick cigarette. the driver smiled at me.

"How are you doing?" he asked me.

"Great," I said. "You?"

"Can't complain, can't complain," he said. "I'm a few minutes early for my shift." He paused. "But you know, this route, you get a lot of, let's say, interesting people. I've had to learn to not let myself get distracted."

Just then, the 33 Stanyan pulled up, and who was driving but my favorite driver, with his dark glasses and his cap and his big smile with bright white teeth.

"I have to go say hi to this guy," I told the driver in the yellow vest.

My favorite driver opened the door and waved. "How are you doing darlin?" he asked.
"Glad to see you!" I replied. I asked him how he'd been, what he'd been up to. Just the usual stuff, and he was doing very well, happy to see me and just off his shift.

My favorite driver stood up and scooted to the back of the bus, and the driver in the yellow vest got on to take over the route.

I waved good bye to them both and hopped on the 55 bus that had pulled up right in front.
I was the only passenger so I sat in front near the very chatty driver. She had her hair pulled back with a couple of pretty pink and white lilies tucked into her bun.

I asked her how she liked the new route.

"You know, other drivers say this route is 'sweet'," she said. "But it really isn't. You got people who don't know where they're going, and lots of you know, the homeless, and they didn't do a good job telling people about this route at all."

"Yeah, they didn't do much outreach," I agreed.

"You got that right," she said.

We chatted some more. When she pulled in to my stop we were still talking.

"See you around," I said.

"Oh you too, honey, you have a good day," she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home