Saturday, July 30, 2022

Bus Report #1080

 I've been on Muni a lot lately - to and from work, to and from my garden plot, work to garden to home, and everywhere, really.

And I'll tell you, there is nothing better than sitting in a window seat watching our city coming back to life. Blooming, slowly, like the plants in my garden. 

It's the little things.

Sunrises over the hairpin turn on Market early in the morning.

Afternoons on the 22, chatting with Jeannie.

Riding the newly returned to complete service number 43 bus with Maya, to and from Fort Mason, like the old days.

Today I went to catch the 28 so I could get to the garden before heading over to S.'s. 

I hopped on and sat down,  in the back of a relatively quiet and chill bus.

The driver leaned out of his seat and looked back.

"Hey, how's it going?" he asked, loudly, looking straight at me.

I recognized him - not fully - sometimes hard to do that with masks - and I called back, "Hey, great to see you!"

"You remember me, from the 33, right?" he asked.

"I do! I'll come chat with you in a sec." I waited until a few more passengers got on and off and then I went up to the front of the bus.

"Hey," I said, "How's it going?"

He turned, tugged his mask down so I could see his face fully. I don't remember what we used to call him here at FCN but it was Ben, Ben who used to drive the 33 in the morning, Ben who I'd sometimes see after work, driving home from Potrero Yard in his bright yellow sports car. 

Just as young, smiley, friendly as he was all those years ago.

We chatted a little, caught up.

He said, "You know, I always remember you."

I said, "That's sweet, thank you."

"See, in all my years working here, no one else was like you. I mean, you gave me that coffee card one year for the holidays, and like, no one - NO ONE - has ever done anything like that for me."

I shook my head. "That's sad," I said. "I can't believe it. You guys deserve way more!" I'll admit I don't remember giving him the card - I remember giving cards to a few drivers over the years, but not that precise moment. 

It's worth remembering that sometimes something that seems small to you can resonate with someone else.

"It's all good," he replied. "I like this job, with my seniority, I get the routes I like now, I've been blessed."

I said, "How'd you recognize me today?" Genuinely curious, given the intervening years, the passage of time, and all.

"Your eyes," he replied. "I always remember your eyes."

Right before my stop I asked his name, just to make sure I was remembering properly, and he asked mine, said, "Nah, actually, just give me your initial."

"It's 'R'," I said.

He grinned. "Okay. Ummm.... I don't know... Oh! Raquel?"

I laughed. "Close enough," I said. "It's Rachel."

As I stepped down from the bus I called back a "thank you" and told him I'd see him again soon.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always happy to see your updates 😊

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home