Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bus Report #583

This morning it took all my energy to haul my ass out of the house and across the street to the bus stop.
NextBus predicted a 38 Geary bus in 11 minutes or 37 minutes.
I took my chances and walked up to the next stop where I knew I could catch a Limited bus (hopefully) sooner.
When a Limited did show up, it was already crowded. I sat between a tired-looking woman with a messy ponytail and a man with a new yellow and green messenger bag.
We flew down Geary and I got out at Fillmore to catch the 22.
I was the only person waiting in the stop when I got down there.
A few minutes later, a regular I haven't seen in a long time (years, I think!) walked by.
"I thought that was you," he said, smiling. "Been a while."
I nodded, said, "Nice to see you."
He said something else but by then he was already out of earshot and I didn't hear him.
I was listening to music and lost track of time, but soon noticed that it was getting much lighter out and the bus still hadn't arrived. I looked at my watch. The bus I usually caught was late. 20 minutes late.
Several other passengers showed up and we all took turns stepping in to the street to look for the bus. Nothing.
I was annoyed but not much. Because I knew that my favorite 22 driver, who had recently switched to the later route, was bound to be on his way.
Five minutes later the 22 came into view.
I knew it was my favorite driver the minute I saw the bus lurch out of the Sutter Street stop and pull in to traffic.
When he stopped to let us on he stopped right in front of me.
"Morning, darlin'," he said with a smile.
"Morning," I replied.
The bus was full of regulars. Shirley, her friend, the big guy, the Roche Bobois guy, and several middle school kids I hadn't seen in a while (man, those kids grow fast!)
As the bus approached my stop, several people from the back of the bus came forward to wait by the back door. I reached over and pulled the signaler. A man standing above me smiled and said, "Thank you."
"You're welcome," I said.
We got out of the bus and I went for my coffee.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Marcher said...

Sometimes I think we live in entirely different cities and yours is much more pleasant than mine.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Haha, thanks, John! I wish my city was always sunshine and roses, but most of the time it is anything but.
See you around...

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home