Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Bus Report #631

This morning, as seen on 16th Street and Bryant: a cracked burned-at-home DVD with the words Big Booty Moms written on it in permanent marker.

At the coffee shop, James waved to me and tried to give me money for my coffee.
"That's very sweet," I said, "But you really don't have to."
"I-I-I want to," he said, and he pressed a five dollar bill into my hand and wouldn't let me say no.
I got my coffee and brought him his change. I thanked him but he still wasn't having any of it.
We talked about baseball - The Giants, of course, his favorite team, and we talked about the foggy weather.
"Thanks again," I said, "But I should go."
"All right, you have a good day," James said. He tilted his face up towards the light. When he does that, he reminds me of my grandfather.
I told him I'd see him tomorrow.
I walked past the garage and down towards work.
I heard a 22 Fillmore bus pulling in to the stop under the overpass and I looked up to see my favorite driver grinning at me and waving as he opened the front door.
I stopped to say hi, as I often do, and he beckoned for me to get on the bus. "Come on," he said. "Get in here. I miss you."
I got in, figuring we'd chat for a second and then I'd continue on my way, but instead he closed the door and took off down the street.
"I guess I'm getting a ride today, huh?" I said.
He laughed. "Looks like it," he said.
I asked him if he was doing anything fun this summer and he said he was getting more involved with his church. They'd asked him to do some things for them - it sounded like he might be preaching or helping out with church services.
"Problem is, I just need to get more confident," he said. "That's what's blocking me right now."
I shook my head. "I don't think you have any problem with confidence," I told him.
He's the driver that makes friends with all the regulars. He sweet talks the old ladies, shakes everyone's hands. His smile is high wattage, and he flashes it all the time. Confidence? He's got it.
I said, "see you later," when we got to my stop.
And I walked up the hill feeling happy, serene, and looking forward to today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous tobymarx said...

Howdy Rachel,
Just wanted to remind you how much I love reading your tales. Keep writing, please!

Best regards,
Mark

6:23 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you so much, Mark!
I really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Rachel

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home