Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bus Report #663

Last night I rode the 38 from Fillmore up to Masonic.

The bus was not crowded but there weren't any free seats, so I stood near the accordion fold, in front of an older woman who kept staring at me as though I was about to steal her purse, or hit her with my tote bag.

There were a few kids in the back door stairwell. They played with their phones and slurped tapioca drinks.

I don't know why I watched the kids - nothing else to occupy myself with, I guess.

Most of them got out at Scott, then a couple at Divisadero.

The bus stopped at Baker and the doors opened with their usual hydraulic whoosh.

Two kids got out, and then the last kid lunged at the woman sitting across from the door, and he ripped the iPhone out of her hands.

She pulled away from him, and shouted something, and then I was at the door too, yelling, "HEY, HEY, HEY!" as loudly as I could, grabbing for the boy, grabbing for the bright white phone, the headphones, whatever I could get a hold of.

We scrabbled for the phone and got it back. The kid took off down the street, his hood covering his face, no chance to identify him if it ever came to that.

The bus driver didn't pay any attention. She shut the doors and we were on our way.

The woman sat back down and wound her headphones around her phone before shoving it into her bag.

"Thanks," she said.

No one else said a thing, and no one moved.

2 Comments:

Blogger Claudeen said...

That's a recent thing on muni-- take good care of your valuables and that includes minimal flashing of your technologies.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. People have this false sense of security on Muni, which is too bad.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home