Thursday, February 09, 2017

Bus Report #957

Waiting for the 22 Fillmore after work, I was mostly concerned with getting my umbrella up before I got soaked.

Across the street there was a police car but I didn't pay attention - this is San Francisco, and I was in Potrero Hill. Lots of police officers around, every day. Nice folks, for the most part.

How can I explain how strange it was to, a moment later, watch people from the coroner's office wheel someone in a body bag out of one of the buildings across the street? I've never seen that before. Not in real life.

I watched them open the doors of their van and load the body into the back. They closed the doors and went back into the building, leaving the person alone. But I suppose the dead don't mind.

I don't know who it was or what the circumstances were, but I felt a sadness for the person, for their family, their friends.

When the bus finally arrived, I got on, dripping water everywhere - the seat, the floor, my legs.

Later, arriving home after hanging out with C., there were two people camping in my building's entry way, shooting up. At 10 PM, with people walking by.

"You need to get out of here," I said, my voice shaking - I'd never encountered this before.

"We're going, we're going," said the woman, gathering her things and slowly getting to her feet while her male companion just sort of wandered off down the sidewalk towards the street.

They left a hypodermic needle behind.

I swear, I've seen more needles on the sidewalk in the past year than I ever had in my entire life.

If you are curious how 311 recommends you dispose of unwanted needles left behind by junkies, let me tell you: they recommend you proceed carefully. They will not send anyone out to pick them up unless they are in the street or on the sidewalk. Even then, they can't guarantee pick up - it could be 24-48 hours.
Just get a broom, the man at 311 suggested, and sweep it away from your door.
Yes, great idea - there's a day care center right next door to us.

Maybe they'll come back for it, he said, trying to be helpful. Can I assist you with anything else? he asked.
No, I said. I don't think you can.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pathetic that they leave the needles - it's a problem here too, even though
we have safe needle disposal boxes in most public toilets/buildings.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Agreed, it is very sad.
I talked to a police officer a few days later who could not believe the bad advice I'd been given. He recommended carefully putting used needles in a jar and walking them over to the station (or the fire house) for safe disposal, which is what I'll do if it happens again.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home