Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Bus Report #963

This morning the 33 was on time for the first time in four days.

I caught sight of our new driver (now that James and the Andre Holland lookalike have taken new shifts) as he pulled in to the stop - it was Leon, a friendly driver from years past. I can't remember but I think he used to drive the 22 in the afternoons.

We smiled at each other and waved before he'd even opened the door.

"Hello there, stranger," I said. "How are you?"
"Wow, it's been what? 2, 3 years?" he asked. "I just saw you and was like, hey, I know her."
"Well it's great to see you," I told him.
"Yeah, you, too."
 
We caught up for a moment and I went to sit down.

Welcome back, Leon, it is great to see you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm impressed that you two can remember each other from 2-3 years ago.

(did you maybe have your eye on him?? - hah ha)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You'd be surprised how many long-time drivers/long-time commuters know each other!
We're all creatures of habit to a certain degree, and people like routine...
There are several drivers I'll see around town who will honk/wave furiously when our paths cross. I suppose it is a nice advantage to living in a small city (well, a small-feeling city?).
I did not have my eye on him, Solo, haha, he's just a really nice guy.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I love your blog. It transcends and connects muni (drivers(people)) and riders. It's like tales of the city but in 201x. Love it.
My bestest friend rides the first 6 and 33 (opposite direction from you) every day. Her stories about her interactions with the drivers - first run out of the yard - and the other regular passengers are precious. Keep up the good work. Love the blog :-)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you so much, Robert. It really means a lot. Despite everything that we complain about in this city, we really are just a large web of interconnected people and I love to see the daily connections that take place. Thank you for the Tales of the City comparison (love those books!). I wish your friend many great commutes.
Take care and thanks again. I will do my best to live up to your kind words.
Cheers!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home