Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Bus Report #1013

This morning the sweet Russian lady with the bad knees was already in the bus stop when I walked over. She was sitting on the bench and patted the seat beside her. "Sit, sit."
"Oh, thanks, I'm okay, I sit all day," I told her, smiling.
She shook her head. "I no much English. Russian, yes."
"I don't know any Russian."
"French? You know French? My second language."
"Just Spanish," I said.
She sighed. "I no Spanish."
I tried explaining that my great-grandparents were from Russia but she didn't understand.
Before the bus arrived, I asked her how to say 'good morning' in Russian, and she told me. I won't try to spell it here, but we practiced for a moment, and then she went on to tell me how to say 'good afternoon' and 'good evening'.
We got on the bus and I wished her a Russian good morning. I'll do the same tomorrow, if I see her.
Tasha told us to hold on, and we did, and we sped off down Arguello.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home