Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Bus Report #532

Another morning waiting for the 22 with the older nurse.
"You remember that driver who never used to let us get on?" she asked me.
"Of course," I said. "I see him all the time now driving other routes and he always waves and smiles at me."
"Me, too!" she said. "That's what I was gonna tell you. I've seen him several times. Can you believe that? After he was so awful all the time?"
"I know, it's crazy," I said. "Now he's so friendly, I don't know why he was always such a jerk."
"I'd be right here," she said, gesturing to a spot a few feet away. "And he'd just shake his head and drive off!"
"Yeah. And I always refused to run to catch the bus at the next stop," I told her. "Didn't want to give him the satisfaction."
She smiled and swatted me on the arm. It was a friendly gesture.
We waited a few more minutes and our bus came. We got on. Nodded hello to the makeup slatherer and a couple other regulars.

I sat in a window seat, next to a man who was really put out because I asked him to move his backpack.
Across from me sat the man with the dirty lavender crushed faux leather hat. The hat is looking pretty bad these days.

The makeup slatherer got up and stood by the front door. I could see she had an ID badge clipped to her shirt. So from now on, let's call her Michele.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I just found your blog through CurbedSF. Wanted to share how much I like your musings! Your style reminds me of Paul Madonna's All Over Coffee illustrations (except written, of course). :-)

4:12 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, thanks Nicole! I LOVE Paul Madonna, so that's a great compliment. Thanks for reading!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home