Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Bus Report #944

If I'd been able to sleep at all last night, I'd have called in sick and stayed in bed all day today.
But no - instead I spent the night, not counting sheep, but counting nightmares.

Got up, numb, showered, numb, made tea I did not want to drink and listened to NPR tell me things I did not want to hear.

Walking to the bus I saw our friendly shtetl scholar. Today he had added a neon yellow safety vest to his outfit, and I saw, to my surprise, that the vest and his hat had the Muni logo on them.

We stopped on the sidewalk to greet each other - but neither of us said 'good' before saying 'morning'.

"You doing okay today?" I asked him.
He looked at me with such concern in his eyes. "I am, I am. What about you?"
I shrugged. Knew if I said too much, I'd start to cry.
He nodded. He earnestly quoted some poetry but I don't know the poet, but it was something about carrying on, and it was nice.
"We'll be okay because we have no choice," he said.
I agreed.
We parted ways.
I am glad to know the shtetl scholar - and somehow gladder still to know that he works for Muni.

Take care of yourselves today, everyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Oh Rachel--I do hear you, loud and clear here on Oahu. This day is going to go down as one of the worst days I've personally ever experienced. I've been watching the reaction of the nation to the election on social media all morning, and I've got to say, I've never read so much hate, so much rhetoric, and so much just plain ignorance being spewed from members of both sides of the deep chasm that now divides our nation. The California secession talk (perhaps including WA and OR as part of the movement) is an excessively volatile "hot button" subject, with plenty of venom being sprayed about it on Twitter at the moment. I just want you to know that I for one would miss you guys--San Francisco is my favorite city to visit when I need to get off island. But who knows, with Texas and New England talking divorce from the union as well, by the next time I'm in California, I might be entering with a sovereign Kingdom of Hawaii passport! It's really getting crazy--I do hope we can all take some deep breathes and logically figure out our next steps will sanely lead us. Rachel, you take care of yourself as well. Hang in there!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we do live in interesting times

2:24 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Hang in there - this divisive looser is going to fall over himself or get impeached. Hopefully it won't last 4 years . But you're right maybe time for CA to Succeed from the union.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, guys.
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, for me, for everyone, all across our nation.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

and you know I wish I could spell --- it's secede ... duh ... have a better day Rachael :-)

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home