Friday, October 21, 2016

Bus Report #942

Once again, people surprise me. Or perhaps it is just that I'm a cynical and jaded jerk.

I took the bus back to work from the Potrero Center this afternoon.
The other folks waiting for the bus were friendly and chatty. Pleasant.

When the 22 arrived, the driver was a familiar one. He grinned, said, "What are you doing here?"
"Just taking a break," I replied, "If that's okay."
"I'll allow it," he said.

There was a slightly creepy guy hunched over his battered suitcase, quietly cursing to himself. Dirty, wild hair, feet splayed out into the aisle, suitcase blocking the way.

Two moms and their babies sat in the front of the bus, the babies babbling and grabbing, the moms softly speaking with them.

When the bus got to De Haro, one of the moms struggled to get her stroller out the back door. The creepy guy jumped up and grabbed the front of the stroller to help her lift it down.
"Hold up, hold up, driver," he said, "we got a stroller coming out."

A few stops later, the other mom, a young girl with her sweet baby strapped to her chest, a huge stroller in tow, needed to get out of the bus. Again, the guy hopped up and helped her out, and then once she was out, he picked up a fallen baby toy and handed it back to her.

I held the door for him so he could get back in.

He was a good man, not creepy at all. I wondered if he had kids, or grand kids.

I hope he has a great weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't judge a book by its cover eh?

its hard not to be cynical though when a lot of the time you see people who you expect to be idiots and they don't let you down.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Indeed. And I should really know that! I am pleased to be wrong in this case.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home