Monday, May 21, 2007

Bus Report #226

The Russian Businessman's name is Nicolai. We were waiting at the stop together and he said, out of nowhere, "I'm Nicolai, by the way."
I said, "Nice to meet you, Nicolai, I'm Rachel."
"I used to know another Rachel on the bus, but she got a new job," he said.

At the Fillmore stop I waited with the dreadlocked dental technician and the teenager who always stands in front of me. I could tell we were all waiting with a hint of dread, remembering Friday's bad commute. The bus came in to view.
I said, "Glad it's not a repeat of the other day."
They laughed and agreed.
On the bus, I sat next to Carmen's favorite Everett student. He was doing his homework, something about current events. He was writing about the whales in Sacramento.

I got out of the bus early and walked the rest of the way from the Potrero Center. Several 22 Fillmores drove by.

The handsome South Asian chef was sitting in the back of one of the buses. He saw me and waved, and smiled. I smiled back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home