Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bus Report #459

Tonight after work, I waited at the bus stop for a 19 Polk headed downtown. I passed the time chatting with my mom on the phone, and happened to mention that I needed to swing by the library before meeting S. for drinks in the Castro.
As the bus arrived, a woman I know from around the neighborhood (who was also waiting) said, "I couldn't help but overhear you. I'm going to the library myself, so if you don't have time to go I could take your book for you."
I thanked her for the offer but explained I had an hour and I was confident I would make it on time. Still, very nice of her to offer.
We got on the bus. I had braced myself for a crowded, smelly, loud bus but this one was almost the opposite.
It was not crowded at all and people were, for the most part, lost in their own worlds and quiet.
The man in front of me smelled a little bit like unwashed clothes and that sour body smell, but it wasn't terrible.
We got to the 8th Street stop in less than ten minutes, my fastest commute in that direction ever.
After dropping off my David Rakoff audiobook, I went back out to wait for an F Market.
I was happy to see Ramon also waiting at the F Market stop.
"What are you doing here?" he asked, as we hugged.
"Library," I said. "What about you?"
"I'm on my way home. I would have taken the 6, but now we can talk for a bit."
We caught up with each other, and when our F Market arrived (the creamsicle colored one! from Cleveland!) we got on and shared a seat near the back door.
His plaid shirt almost matched the creamsicle color, but I didn't mention it.
He got out a few stops later. It was great to see him, it's been a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home