Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Bus Report #555

Last night I walked to the bus with K. after a fun evening of food, wine and good people. We waited for the 5 Fulton on a quiet stretch of the street near the park.
A man joined us at the bus stop just as the bus arrived. He was about 6 feet tall, a little thick around the middle, with short curly black hair. He bore a striking resemblance to a guy M. and I know from the blood center, who always talks about himself in the third person.
He was wearing a jacket with the hood over his face, black rain boots, and thick grey tights. Not athletic spandex pants, just tights.
The three of us got on the empty bus and ended up sitting in three seats right next to each other.
The man said, "It's really cold out there."
"I know," I said. "That's fall in San Francisco for you."
He said, "I don't like wearing boots. They're not too cute, the boys just don't like them."
Okay, I thought. Interesting. He went on. "Really I prefer flats, like with a short heel."
I nodded. He rummaged in his bag and took out a shoe. "I like to wear these," he said.
The shoe was a flat woman's shoe with a pointy toe and some pleats on the top (shirring? Is this the right word?). He was right. It was cute.
"And I'd rather wear cuter tights," he said. "But if they're too shiny, I get a lot of weird looks. Plus, they're harder to find."
"American Apparel has gold lame ones," I said. "You seen those?"
He nodded. "Yeah, those are a little flashy for me, though."
"I don't know much about fashion," I admitted, then pointed to my jacket to illustrate my point.
"I read all the magazines," he said. "I just love them. The shoes are my downfall, though."
I nodded sympathetically. "I bet it's hard to find your size, huh? My feet are wide in the front and I can never find anything."
"Oh, no, I can find my size at Nordstrom's, no problem. It's just the prices! So expensive!"
He told me what tights would look best with a sweater dress, that it takes a lot of work to find a good pair of fishnets. Then he said he actually preferred tights with a diamond pattern to fishnets. I had to agree with him there, since I prefer them, too.
"I just got some 4 inch tall wedge heels," he said, as I got up to go to the door.
"Better you than me," I said. "I could never pull that off."

4 Comments:

Blogger John Marcher said...

Priceless, Rachel. Thank you for that one. I do love this blog.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks John! It was a surreal interaction, but a good one.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

A true tour de force!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Jessie - It was the feel-good bus experience of the year! ;)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home