Friday, December 10, 2010

Bus Report #565

I'm in love with San Francisco again today.
My long week is almost over and on my way in to volunteer at the museum I'm going to stop and pick up a coffee card for my favorite 22 Fillmore driver.
The 38 is comfortably empty and I get a window seat by the back door.
We cruise down Geary, skipping stops where no one is waiting.
The bus stops for a long time on Van Ness but I don't notice why.
I am struck by the thought that O'Farrell Street has never looked so beautiful.
New movie posters near the AMC Van Ness promise a varied winter and spring schedule.
The Cristobal Apartments on O'Farrell near Larkin, with it's gorgeous facade - why have I never noticed this building before? - give me a lump in my throat. I want to come back and photograph the whole thing.
Bring a toy to the New Century Theater and you'll get a discount. Nice.
People wait in a long, snaking line for free food at the senior center a few blocks down. A food bank truck is parked at the curb, and people unload bags and bags of groceries.
In the windows at Macy's there are adorable kittens actually frolicking, begging to be adopted. People pause as they hurry by to look at them.
And later, walking down Market Street. The sidewalk is slick with this morning's rain. My broken old sneakers have no traction but I let them slide me past the chain stores and closet-size cafes.
The angel statue in front of 720 Market is still there, no surprise since I always double-check it hasn't taken flight. It is one of my favorite pieces of art in the city, and I think most people probably don't even notice it's there.
The F Market rattles by. This time of year the cars are festooned with pine garlands and red ribbons for Christmas. Just beautiful and I imagine they looked the same way decades earlier, in other cities and countries far from here.

5 Comments:

Blogger John Marcher said...

Lovely post.

Now I have to go see what statue you're talking about because I think I walk by it twice a day without noticing it.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, John! It is a beautiful statue... One of my personal landmarks since I moved here. Let me know what you think of it.

6:14 PM  
Blogger John Marcher said...

It was right there as you described and I have never, ever noticed it before. It is quite nice (though oddly located). Now when I see it I'll think of you.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous tobymarx said...

The Cristobal has long been one of my favorite buildings (refer to my post Cristobal Apartments). Its designer, August Nordin, was quite prolific, so it's very likely you've seen any number of his buildings around the City.

I'm a little confused about the angel statue to which you refer. There is no statue at 720 Market, but the Native Sons Monument at Market and Montgomery has an angel with outspread wings. Is that the one you mean?

Best regards,
Mark

3:05 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the info, tobymarx!
I'll check out your post and be on the lookout for more Nordin buildings.
I bet the angel we are talking about is the same one. It's sort of out on the sidewalk out front 720 Market, thereabouts.
Either way, I love it but don't know anything about it.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home