Sunday, December 05, 2010

Bus Report #562

How to make friends on the 38 Geary - Bring a pine wreath on board, balance it on your lap as the bus lurches away from the Masonic stop.
"We can smell your wreath from over here," calls a woman sitting at the front of the bus.
"Why don't you leave it with us when you get out?" suggests her friend.
"Let's just get some of those pine tree air fresheners for the driver," I call back.

Relying on the kindness of strangers - Standing in the bus stop waiting for the 38, and I get an uncontrollable coughing fit. A woman stands a few feet away, smoking, but as I continue to cough up a lung or two, she comes over and hands me a throat lozenge.
"Take this," she says. "Don't want you to feel embarrassed on the bus if you keep coughing, don't want people to think you have TB and avoid you, or something." She smiles.
I smile, still coughing, and gratefully accept the small candy. I unwrap it and put it in my mouth. Instant relief. "Thanks," I say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home