Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bus Report #86

Sunday
Due to the San Francisco marathon, the 22 Fillmore bus was re-routed and they used diesel busses instead of the ones on the wires. By the time E. and I were on the 22 (after This American Life Brunch with the Teacher's Pet) the bus was back on its normal route but still off the wires.

Someone got on the bus smelling of pot. Our driver said, "you better not be smoking on the bus, that better be coming in off the street."

A few stops later, an older man in headphones and sunglasses got on. He was talking to himself loudly, cursing and going on and on about his distrust for the bus and how he was going to blow it up, and he kept throwing around the word terrorist. Not the best move on a public bus. I leaned over and said to E., "Wonder how long before this guy gets thrown off the bus."

The answer was about half a block. The driver pulled over and stopped the bus. She said, "I don't want to hear any of that kind of language on this bus. Get off the bus now, whoever is talking like that."
We all looked at the man. He cursed the driver some more, then stalked off the bus.
The passengers gave our driver a round of applause.
"On my bus I am in charge, and I won't stand for it," our driver said.

Tuesday
I rode the bus from work to my old neighborhood with Francisco. We discussed our summer travel plans, work, and the weather. I hope his business picks up, because he's a good person to ride the bus and chat with.

When he got off, two teenage girls with braces and hooded sweatshirts got on and sat across from me. The talked about their friend, who had a serious boyfriend.
"Do you think they do it?" the girl with the blonde hair asked her friend.
The dark-haired girl shrugged. "I don't know. Where would they do it, his house?"
It was a funny conversation to over hear, and it made me feel 15 again. They were cute, in a raggedy teenagery kind of way.

At Oak Street, two tattooed boys got off the bus. As they left, one said, "I think I have a 9 year old kid somewhere. I mean, I know I do." and he laughed.
His friend said, "Yeah?"
and he said, "Yeah."

Wednesday
Ran for the bus this morning. Mr. Polite was the only other person at the bus stop.
"I am running late today, and where's the bus?" he said.
I agreed that they were running on a weird schedule. The bus eventually came and we got on.
At his stop, he got off the bus and waited to cross the street. As we pulled away, he waved to me with a wide sweep of his arm, and he smiled.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grrg said...

Technically, these could have been posted at three separate bus updates, just to keep the tally soaring towards 100.

I miss This American Brunch so much! When you're here, we are SO having a Home Truths Brunch...

6:51 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Can't wait to see you, Greg!
Home Truths Brunch it is!

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home