Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Bus Report #100

This morning I waited to cross the street while a whole fleet of 38 Gearys flew by. It was not a good sign.
Ten minutes later I was sitting in the back of the bus. The man sitting across from me kept staring at me, so I stared right back.
To get out the bus I had to slip past a man with a gigantic duffel bag.
I was a bit dismayed to see the crowd of people waiting for the 22 Fillmore.
I took off my headphones because the Teen was talking to me.
"I've been here since 7:30," she said.
I looked at my watch. It was 7:45.
"This is going to be fun," I told her, but she didn't get the joke.
She was too preoccupied with worry: when the kids are late for school, they are kept in the cafeteria for a while and then have to stay after school to make up the lost time. This doesn't seem fair to me, as she was waiting for a bus that never showed up.
When the bus came, it was predictably crowded.
I sat squished up against the window. There were two little boys sitting beside me: a second grader and his little brother who was in kindergarten. The little guy fell asleep against my arm. It was cute.
The Snappy Dresser got on the bus right behind a woman in horrible, mismatching flowered skirt and flat shoes. I thought: The Snappy Dresser and his Woman's Wear Daily (he is never without it) will be against that look!
Torn-jacket girl has a new jacket, no tears.
The driver would not let the cat lady get on, much to the relief of the front of the bus, which was already packed tightly.
I felt a little bad for her as she stood at the curb, with her pushcart and cats and shawl that kept blowing off her shoulders.
At my stop, my seatmate was gracious enough to move so I could maneuver my way out of the crowd. Several other people were not as kind: they got smacked by my bag on my way out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100th Bus Report! I feel like I should bake you a cake with 100 candles (Bus-shaped, of course.) However, you know that I can't cook, so just picture one and blow out the imaginary candles when no one is looking!

Sounds like you're enjoying the city since our return, glad to hear it. Meanwhile I just want to plan my escape back to the UK...

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You know I am blaming service cuts on this.... I have not seen any of my 'usual' drivers in a few days so it makes me wonder....

12:08 PM  
Blogger Squirll said...

is the cat lady uasually allowed on the bus? with the cats?

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home