Friday, January 27, 2006

Bus Report #126

Strangely empty busses this morning. At first I thought maybe it was Saturday and I had gotten up by accident.

As I was having my tea and getting ready to leave the house, NPR mentioned that this week is the 20th anniversary of the Challenger explosion, which seems insane to me. I remember that day so clearly: sitting in Ms. McKinney's third grade classroom watching the launch on a wheeled-in TV, seeing the strange smoke, then Mr. Kaplan on the loudspeaker telling us what had happened.
The nervous laughter from some of the kids in the class. Not being able to sit still during the moment of silence. Trying to understand what it all meant.
20 years. Wow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Squirll said...

yep. 20 years... for me, and most kids in florida, we were outside watching the thing. wierd... didnt really understand what we saw, but then we all started watching tv and then it made since what we saw.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home