Thursday, October 02, 2008

Bus Report #371

On my way home last night I decided to take a 22, since it was not too crowded and Next Bus told me my 10 Townsend was going to be a while longer.
I sat next to a day laborer guy for a few stops, until Mission Street. He didn't make a move to get up, even though he had shouldered his backpack and adjusted his ball cap. I asked him if it was his stop, moved out of the way as he got out, and then slid into the window seat.
Just in time, too, as a crowd of people pushed onto the bus.
A woman in a mint green top and a pair of olive green khakis came and sat beside me. I recognized her as working in the New May Wah supermarket in my neighborhood.
All was well for about two minutes, when she started playing with her hair.
Not just pulling her hair into a better ponytail, no tucking a lose strand behind her ear.
No.
Instead, she ran her hand through the right side of her hair, looked at her hand and pulled off any lose strands, measured them, and then did the same on the left side of her hair.
Not just once or twice, but over and over and over for the whole rest of the ride (she got out at Geary).
I cannot stand when people on the bus play with their hair, clip their nails (we've talked about this before) or do anything else better done at home, in the bathroom, with a mirror.
I moved over as close to the window as I could and just hoped it was far enough.
I can't tell you how disgusted I was by this compulsive hair thing she was doing.
The worst part? I mean, the part I keep thinking about? She works in the super market. Where I shop. She obsessively plays with her hair and works in the super market. Ew. Ew. Ew.
I couldn't get out of that bus fast enough.

Ended up on a 2 Clement, sitting in the back of the bus facing the door. It was sunny but I couldn't find my sunglasses.

I got out at the Arguello and Clement stop and walked to Fabrix where I sorted through the button bin for far too long. Got 4 buttons that might go on a new scarf I am finishing this week. The neighborhood felt quiet, which was nice. Even the vegetable market was quieter than usual. They had huge sacks of peeled garlic and longans, and they both smelled good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home