Saturday, September 06, 2008

Bus Report #363

I wanted to go to Polk Street after work so I could get some tea and see what they had at the Bargain Bank. I waited for the 19 Polk in front of Anchor Steam. The smell of beer was in the air and I breathed it in, greedily.
The bus came and I got on.
There was a free seat in the back, the seat right across from the back door.
I soon discovered why it was free.
there were five teenage girls in the back of the bus, 13 or 14 year old kids from the school up the block.
They were shouting, cursing, shrieking and wrestling with each other.
Wrestling and play fighting, in the aisles and stepwell, WHILE THE BUS WAS MOVING.
Was our driver doing anything to stop them? What do you think?
No, he was not, even though everyone kept looking at him, looking at the kids, and back at him.

The girls started to wrestle in the aisle again. I could tell that they were doing it on purpose, that they wanted to do exactly what happened next.
They were right by my seat and I saw the bigger of the two girls push her friend towards me.
They fell against my side, heavily.
I was beyond pissed.
I shoved them both away, hard, and I think I said something like, "What the hell is wrong with you? Cut that shit out, kids!" or something similar. "Just cut that the fuck out!"
They narrowed their eyes at me, laughed and went back to their seats.
Still nothing from our driver.
The man sitting in front of me stood up and faced the girls.
"You kids need to cut it out," he said. "You can't be fighting or whatever on the bus."
The girls just laughed at him.
"Whatever, you got a booger in your nose!" one of them said.
And the man, I couldn't believe it, he shut up right away and slunk back to his seat.
I will not be intimidated by children and I couldn't believe a grown man would be cowed by these little bitches.
A woman came and sat beside me.
The bus crossed Townsend.
I felt something hit me in the back of the head.
The girls had thrown the newspaper at me. It didn't hurt, was more pathetic than anything else.
I sucked my teeth and tossed it on the floor. Said, "fucking kids."
The driver kept shooting looks at them but not once, NOT ONCE did he say anything or threaten to put them out the bus.
At Market Street the girls all stood up to get out of the bus, their back packs hitting people in the head and back.
Someone told one of the girls she was stepping on his foot.
They laughed.
One of the girls had a bottle of juice. Just before she got out the bus she shook it up and took off the cap, spraying juice all over the bus.
Bitches.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me guess...were these kids black?

4:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Kids are kids, Anonymous. We're not going to go there.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh. I had a similar experience on the way home from work on the 31 a few weeks ago. A group of girls were wrestling and rolling all over the place, yelling. In between hitting each other and falling on the other bus riders they decided to sit down on the floor in the aisle and throw stuff at each other.

Then, if that wasn't bad enough, this woman, who had been previously been making out with the guy sitting next to her, says loudly, "Aren't my daughters silly?"

No "Get off the floor and sit in seats like civilized people." No "Shut up, you're being annoying." No "Behave yourself!" Just "They're being silly."

The more I ride public transportation, the more I want to revoke people's reproductive rights.

Oh, and I suppose this goes without saying, but of course the driver did nothing.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an experience similar, if not worse than this, that made me never want take the 31 again. A group of young boys, most likely middle schoolers, were sitting in the back and one of them was talking dirrty and making sexually derragatory comments to a girl and her friend. The girl told her to not talk like that to her. Meanwhile, while that kid was talking like that, his friend, a fat kid, was chewing a huge piece of gum and throwing paper balls at peoples head in the bus.

Lo and behold, they get off right by where sacred heart is, and the fat kid gets the piece of gum and sticks it onto the girls hair. My friends get mad, and the kids start threatening my friends to get off the bus and fight them and that they are going to kill them and stab them. Moreover, the fat kid has the audacity to spit on one of my female friends, and thats when my other guy friend kicked the fat kid off the bus.

To make it even worse, the bus driver didn't say anything. Some lady even had the nerve to tell the bus driver to slow down for the kids because they were riding on the bus as it was moving! However, the bus driver didn't care and she even remarked that they always do that kind of stuff (hanging from the bus) at downtown.

That just made me realize how much i hate the 31 now. Especially when it passes through Eddy street.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The school probably has an SFPD officer assigned who is familiar with the kids. If you heard any names, or could describe any of them or what they were wearing I'm sure they could be identified. One time my wife was slapped by a middle school girl on the bus - we contacted the school and got a very good response from the school principal and the SFPL officer.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home