Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Bus Report #475

Cold weather edition

Where to start? I took a lot of buses today, and the one theme running across all the lines was the cold. People were bundled up in all their winter clothes, some people better than others.
One little girl wore knee high boots and a thick winter coat with a hat pulled down over her ears. But she was also wearing a short skirt and tights.
The teens who go to Catholic school somewhere in Noe Valley all had jeans on under their school uniform skirts.
On my 22 this morning, the Postal Service guys had on regulation parkas and woolly hats.

I took a 10 Townsend downtown for lunch. The new route isn't bad, but sadly won't work that well for me to take it home in the afternoons. My bus was pretty empty except for a man who sat in front of me who smelled like rotten food. I cracked the window open.

This afternoon my 22 was full but quiet. My seat mate, a heavyset woman in a puffy coat, took up a lot of the seat but I didn't mind, as she was very warm and kept me warm, too, whether she wanted to or not. She spent the whole ride on the phone with Kaiser, talking in Spanish, trying to reschedule a doctor's appointment. I didn't need to know all about her medical needs. Some things you should do at home.

A flower vendor got on at Mission and sat across from me. He had a crate full of bouquets of carnations. The flowers were really vibrant and while I don't usually go for carnations, I thought about buying some.
He must have been tired, because he soon fell asleep. He leaned forward over his crate, occasionally stirring to touch the flowers, before falling asleep again.
He bolted awake at Hayes and tried to scramble out of the bus, but in his haste he kicked over his flowers and fell down on his knees. A boy standing in the step well helped him up and he got out.

Slight Muni fail at Geary and Fillmore, where three packed packed buses showed up at the same time, two 38Ls and a 38. The 38 said it was going to Ocean Beach. Isn't that one of the lines that was terminated, or am I wrong?

I stood in the bus shelter clutching a bulky tote bag holding a Wild Side Snuggie (a birthday present from a friend, not something I would have bought, thanks, GJ!) and a huge plastic container I was taking home from work. I finally got on the back of the crowded 38, and sat next to a smelly man who, unfortunately, also gets out at my stop. Cringe.

Walked home as fast as I could and was greeted by the heat blowing full blast when I went inside.

Lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home