Monday, October 26, 2009

Bus Report #471

On the 44 O'Shaughnessy yesterday afternoon, I saw one of the creepiest interactions I've seen on Muni and there was nothing I could do about it.
A girl got on at Lincoln and 9th, a college student, I guessed. She was very drunk and maybe on something, and she stumbled down the aisle and finally landed in the lap of an open-mouthed young man who did not seem to mind. He looked pretty average: early 20s, baggy clothes, sideways baseball cap for an out of state team.
The girl had long wavy hair, a tank top, shorts and mid-calf-high cowboy boots. She had dime-shaped bruises on her legs. I got the feeling she had been up all night and was heading home to one of the USF dorms in my neighborhood.
She flirted with the open-mouthed boy and he flirted back, put his arm around her shoulder and gave her his igadget to fool with. He brought his face close to hers and talked to her in a low voice. She kissed him and then giggled.
Now, maybe I'm in the minority here, but she was obviously impaired and any decent guy (I imagine), even if he was super excited to have this chick fall all over him, should have just sat back, kept his hands to himself, and NOT taken advantage of the out-of-it girl.
Open-mouth boy asked her if she'd like to borrow his igadget so she could, "put some of your own music on it, then like, we could get together and you could give it back."
She giggled, said something I couldn't hear, slurring her words together.
He offered her some of his juice and she drank it.
He tried to impress her, asking her what music she liked besides rap (because she told him she didn't like rap and that he should listen to something else).
The whole thing was creepy and I wasn't the only person thinking so. The woman in front of me turned in her seat and raised her eyebrows at me. I just shrugged.
I hoped that he would get out first, but he didn't.
"You getting out at Geary?" he asked her.
"Clement, actually," she said.
They both got out together at the last stop.
I hope she made it home okay, and without him.
Is there anything any of us could have done in this situation? It definitely felt like an unsafe situation for her. Potentially.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

that is pretty darn creepy. taking advantage of drunk people, esp. like that is gross.

whenabouts was this?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It was yesterday, actually, maybe noonish?
I just worried about her getting home okay. Hopefully I was just overreacting. But still.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of waiting for the #2 at Sutter/Powell and seeing a very tipsy very young woman struggling to stand up straight. I was about to cross the street and ask her if she needed help but a limo driver got their first and steadied her while he talked to her.

She didn't really respond to him, just kind of gazed silently up at his face, and he led her to his car and drove her away. I hoped he took her home, but who knows. I wondered if I was supposed to do something or tell someone.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I was concerned at the time, because the driver didn't seem to know her already or be responding to her call for a car. She seemed really out of it and he seemed like someone who just noticed her as he walked by her.)

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Ian said...

Female good samaritans: Call SF Police non-emergency line: 415.553.0123. Explain the situation and ask for assistance. There's a good chance of help being sent out. Or see below.

Male good samaritan: See above or just step in and assist.

Yes, you may get hurt...who said helping others is always pain free?
Yes, your assistance may be denied...at least you tried.

Much better than just watching the whole thing and ignoring it or blogging about it.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Ian, for the tips.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home