Monday, March 14, 2011

Bus Report #587

I don't think I ever wrote about this strange driver on the 33 line I had about a month ago.
He seemed normal enough at first, calling out stops and making everyone pay their fare, shooing people towards the back of the bus for a wheelchair passenger.
Our bus rode up through the Castro.
Did someone have a cat? There was a loud meowing sound coming from the front of the bus. I looked around to see if anyone had a cat carrier or anything like that. Nope.

It was then that I realized: Our driver was the one meowing, not a cat at all.

We hit Ashbury and the driver said, "Ashbury. Blueberry. Strawberry. Blackberry. Ashbury, folks."

On Haight Street we passed a street-ratty-looking girl enveloped in a cloud of pot smoke. The driver got on the PA again: "Someone's smoking that wacky tabaccy," he said. "Better not be smoking that stuff here."

He laughed, he babbled, he called out stops and made comments. No one seemed to be amused, though. I grinned at a man sitting a few rows ahead. He rolled his eyes back at me.

Has anybody else experienced this odd driver?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I've seen this guy - a meowing bus driver certainly would've made my day. :)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Maybe you'll be on his route one day... He was actually very convincing. Plus the bus goes right by the SPCA and there are often cats on the bus.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home