Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bus Report #592

Tonight I caught a 33 Stanyan bus at Potrero and 16th. It was a diesel bus (they must be doing some overhead wire work - all the 33s I saw tonight were diesels) and it was full but not packed.
I took a seat in the back of the bus across from a man who was doing some embroidery. He had a metal embroidery hoop (I've never seen those! Mine are all wooden, really crappy fakey wood) and it looked like he was doing some sort of multi-colored design.
"What are you working on?" I asked him.
He looked up at me and said, "A birthday card."
"Cool," I said. He lifted the hoop for a moment as he adjusted the tightness. I saw that he had already embroidered a pretty design on the bottom and there was writing in three colors that spelled out: Happy Birthday Aunt Ellen.
What a great idea. What a great nephew.
We had a smooth ride up 16th to Mission Street. There were a lot of people in the plaza, as always, but I didn't see anything unusual tonight. Maybe the intermittent rain was keeping the crazies away.
The bus emptied out in the Castro. The embroiderer got up and waved goodbye to me before he left.
In the Haight two cops were trying to get some sit/lie kids to move on. It didn't look like it was working.
The bus spit me out onto Clement Street. From work to home in less than forty minutes today, lovely.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel. Since I can't find an email address for you, I'm going to leave a comment here.

Just a quick note to let you know that three of my fellow brotographers and I (all formerly from CaliberSF) have launched a new San Francisco photoblog. Called "All City", our goal is to provide a steady stream of San-Francisco-based photos and shine a spotlight on local photographers along the way. As far as photoblogs are concerned, this one is quite unique. It's a collaborative effort with many heads... and as such, the photographs blanket the city in various ways and styles.

http://allcitysf.com/

With Caliber ending and All City taking it's place, I was hoping you could replace the Caliber link on your blog with http://allcitysf.com/ . Thanks!

Best regards,
Bob Horowitz

10:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Consider it done, sirs.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home