Friday, January 20, 2012

Bus Report #666

Last night's rain made the evening commute on the 22 a soggy, slow ride.

Has anyone else noticed that there are no bus shelters (inbound) from Connecticut and 17th all the way to Potrero and 16th?

I stood by the door of Thee Parkside and waited for the bus.
It pulled up just as the friendly woman was crossing the street, so I asked the driver to wait a moment for her to catch up.
I sat down beside a girl who looked like a young Janeane Garofalo.
She took in my wet coat, my wet bag, and shrunk away from me against the window.

I listened to a Planet Money podcast about lard... and felt a little sick.
At Geary I switched to the 38 - and found Carmen waiting on the curb for me.
"Hello!" she said. "Are you taking this bus?"
"Sure," I said.
We got on through the back of the bus and she pointed to an empty seat. "Do you want this?" she asked.
"You take it," I told her. "I've been sitting all day."
"Well, I was standing all day," she said. "So okay."
She sat and I stood next to her, and we chatted a bit. Her daughter is in Spain right now, so I dug my iPod out of my bag and pulled up the photos from my trip.
Carmen put on her glasses and flipped through the photos.
"It's so nice to see you having fun," she said.
I laughed, and thanked her.
I almost missed my bus stop, we were having such a nice visit with each other.
I squeezed her shoulder and shoved the iPod in my pocket, and took off, calling a "see you tomorrow!" back at her as I left.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Marcher said...

Rachel,

I have to admit my disappointment to see that Satan must have missed the bus for this post.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I know, I was kind of hoping there'd be a 666 related happening I could write about... maybe for 669?

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home