Friday, February 15, 2019

Bus Report #1027

Walking to the bus after work, I passed by the SFPL book donation center. Sometimes in the afternoons there are quite a few recycled items they can't sell - VHS tapes, scratched CDs, tattered old books and the like. There's a man who often sifts through the dumpster. If it is late enough our bus passes him and he and Kevin wave at each other. Sometimes he gets on the bus with his old suitcase crammed full of goodies.
I've gotten in the habit of asking him about his finds when I see him, and today was no exception.
I took off my headphones and asked, "Anything good today?"
He grinned and said hi, and then said, "Would you believe it, a W. Somerset Maugham first edition, signed! That's like... I mean they only made a few hundred of them and signed, can you believe it?"
I don't know if what he found was authentic or not, but what a great story. "Man, you should play the lottery after that, or I guess that's basically like winning the lottery, huh?"
He smiled a more-toothless-than-usual smile and nodded. "You bet," he said. "Hey you have a good rest of the day, okay?"
"Okay," I said, and went to catch the bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home