Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Bus Report #111

The bus has been pretty tame lately, and I have been in an easy mood, which is why there hasn't been a bus report in a while.
Today on the 38 I sat next to the teenage boy who fancies himself a little punk. He usually wears black clothes or camo, and has a torn up vest with the inevitable band patches safety-pinned to it.
Too bad he goes to private Catholic school and has to at least partially comply with the uniform. Poor kid. He was reading a book but I couldn't tell what it was. It was old, though, probably older than him: the pages were yellow and it was pocket-size, like my ancient copy of To Kill A Mockingbird.

The 22 was full but I managed to get a seat. I sat next to one of the teenage girls and across from Carmen. We were able to chat for a couple of minutes until it was so packed I had a little boy's belly against my shoulder and someone's backpack kept hitting me in the head.
At Mission, the crowd eased a little, then the driver let people get on through the back doors and it was crazy again.
A tiny, drunk, crazy and probably homeless woman skateboarder stood next to me, ranting that people shouldn't touch her. Well, I am sure no one would have if we had had a choice!
She was getting off at Bryant, too, but did not know how the doors worked. A woman in an aquamarine coat had to show her. I jumped down the stairs (there were people blocking the stepwell) and quickly crossed the street and went to the Potrero Center for my copy of The-World's-Worst-Daily-Newspaper and a coffee.
I had started walking towards Potrero when I heard someone calling my name.
I turned around and saw Ebony, one of my oldest bus friends (duration not age!)walking towards me.
We greeted each other and companionably walked together down to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home