Friday, January 11, 2008

Bus Report #288

Another day, another bus ride.
It's been a good week for commuting, despite the rain.
I've seen Carmen every day, Nikolas once, a mom and two daughters who I know from around the neighborhood, the man who looks familiar from the back and other regulars.

The sort of mean driver continues to be sort of mean... It's more like she's just not friendly. Most drivers, if you see them every day, at least acknowledge that they've seen you before. Not her.
She won't let people board through the back door, which is good, but she will let stark raving mad people on the bus, the more trash bags they have with them the better. She's an enigma, the sort of mean driver.

Monday on my way in to work, as I was about to walk under the overpass, I noticed a large amount of downed tree branches blocking the sidewalk, the bus stop and almost half the road. I gingerly stepped around it.
The same scenario was repeated Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday morning I'd had enough. I called 311, thinking I might be able to report the tree branches. I spoke to a man who took down all my information, but I'll admit I didn't have high hopes.
Fast forward to Thursday night, when I missed the bus and decided I might as well walk to the Mission, where I was meeting The Teacher's Pet and her man. I rounded the corner and there it was....
A branch-free stretch of sidewalk and street.
I was glad.
This morning the bus was late and crowded.
I sat next to a series of headphone wearing people, who had their music on loud enough that my own headphones didn't drown them out.
One of the teenagers munched on a box of Cheez-Its. at 7 AM. Gross.
The bus broke down at 16th and Church.
I sighed, apparently loud enough for my seat mate to give me a concerned look.
When I finally got to my stop, it was my light to cross the street but the sort of mean driver ran it anyway.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing worse than a 7am Cheese-Its muncher is a 6am Cheetos chomper; they have the most repulsive smell of any processed junk food that can be eaten from a bag.

Of course, this was on the 14-Mission so I should probably be grateful that this was the worst thing to happen on that trip.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Disgusting! You win!
But how about fast food on the bus, that's nasty too...
Have fun on the 14... A challenge of a bus for sure...

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home