Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bus Report #377

Yesterday I took a crowded 38L to Masonic to go to Trader Joe's. I had an aisle seat and got hit in the arm and head with bags more times than I can count.
While we were still downtown, I saw guys dressed as Greek warriors riding segways and handing out coupons for Greek yogurt (or maybe it was samples, I couldn't see that well).

There were a lot of people standing near Montgomery BART with 'No on Prop. 8' signs. Some passed out stickers and others were just asking people to vote No.
Fog City Notes wholeheartedly endorses 'No on Prop. 8'. If you are still on the fence about this, ask yourself these questions: Why should we take away basic civil and human rights? Why treat our family and friends differently? Why should a committed gay union deserve less respect than (for example) Madonna and Guy Ritchie's short-lived and ill-fated marriage? Most importantly, how could gay marriage ever possibly put your marriage or family in jeopardy?
(Please don't send me any angry or mean comments. I respect your political decisions even if I don't agree with them. Please respect mine. That is what democracy is all about.)

I was glad to get out of my crowded bus and go to the store, even though the lines were insane.
Afterwards, I went back to the bus stop to wait for a 38 regular. There were lots of people waiting, mostly other Trader Joe's shoppers. A 38L came, and they all piled in.
Seconds later, the 38 regular came and got the 3 of us that were still waiting.
I saw Mr. Polite for the first time in a long time. He looked at me and nodded his head in acknowledgment, politely.

This morning I was sleepy. I sat next to a woman who spent our whole 38 ride putting on her makeup, including false eyelashes. It was not the same woman I usually sit next to who does this, but someone else.
I listened to Radio Lab on my headphones. Listen to it, you won't be sorry. And make sure to pledge your support while you're checking out their website.
The 22 Fillmore came, and all our regulars were on it:
Catfish face man
Whitney, in a black trench coat and a bright blue beret
The guy with the Tully's coffee
The mom with the little son who goes to the Catholic School
The postal workers who stand in the step well and make it impossible to get out the bus
The recovering addict/Neck Tattoo lady/Guy who always gets out at Turk

4 Comments:

Blogger K said...

NO ON PROP 8!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Marcia said...

I'd vote no on 8 if I lived in CA!

4:28 PM  
Blogger annnna said...

This is an interesting blog. I used to ride the 22 at least twice a day. I wonder if we were ever on the same one. I'd probably fall into the "more teens than you can shake a stick at" category.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Welcome, Mousy! Well, there were also a fair amount of High Schoolers who were great, super nice and always friendly. I see some of them around town still, and they're in college and working now. We still say hi to each other. Maybe you are one of them!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home