Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bus Report #496

Last night I caught a 19 Polk headed towards downtown.
My seatmate was an older... person (at first I couldn't tell/didn't really notice their gender) with extremely dry skin (I've heard people talk about 'chapped hands' but had never seen them myself), a baseball cap and a vest, one of those vests you see on crossing guards and people like that.
I hadn't been sitting down for more than a minute when my seat mate started to talk. "Lovely day out today, isn't it?"
It was a woman.
I smiled at her. "Very nice," I replied.
She continued to talk, ask me questions and generally entertain me for the duration of the ride. As we neared the new Federal Building, she asked me what I thought about it.
"I think it looks great," I said.
"You're the second person who has told me that," she said, shaking her head. "You really like it? I think it looks crazy!"
We commiserated about how annoying it is when someone hits you with their backpack, because someone was hitting me with his backpack. At Market, I stood up to leave.
"It was nice talking to you," I said.
"You, too," she said. "I hope I see you again."

This morning on the 22 I ended up sitting beside the woman who works with Carmen, also known as the woman who has the hot cup from a cafe in Austin that is a match for one I've got at work (Whew. we need a nickname for her!)
A woman in front of us spent, no joke, about fifteen minutes smearing liquid foundation onto her face. It was gross, and the woman who works with Carmen and I kept exchanging incredulous glances.
Several teens got on at Hayes. One of the girls sat next to the makeup-slatherer.
A moment later, the makeup-slatherer turned to the girl and asked her if she had rubbed in all the makeup.
Carmen's coworker and I exchanged looks again, and this time I had to suppress my laughter.
It was really something.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You should call her Austin Coffee lady.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I like it. Done.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home