Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Bus Report #494

This morning my 38L was extremely crowded, so I stood in the middle and clutched a pole, while someone's wet umbrella kept brushing my leg.
I couldn't wait to get out of the bus.
I jumped out at Fillmore. When I got to the 22 stop, I saw that a cab was half-assedly pulled in to the stop and a white van was diagonal across the street a few feet away.
A family (loud jabbering mom, quiet teen son and daughter, scruffy quiet dad) stood near the cab while a tall man with a notepad (the cabbie) peered at the cab and at at the van, making notes on the damage.
The van has a slightly crumpled bumper and from what I could tell it had hit the side of the cab, because the teens kept going over to the cab with the cell phones to snap photos of the damage.
The mom suddenly lunged at the cabbie, who got right back in there, yelling, "You don't know what the hell you're talking about! You are going about this all wrong!"
Mom shrieked again and suddenly there was Dad, about to punch the cabbie.
I took a step towards the knot of angry people. If it escalated, I was just going to call the cops.
It was too damn early to have to listen to this kind of bullshit.
The teen boy grabbed his dad and hauled him back away from the cabbie.
The family huddled together while the cabbie took some more notes.
The police arrived (I couldn't tell if they were just passing through or if they had been called) and they made the dad move the van so traffic could get by. One cop stood with the cabbie and the other cop stood with the family.
The bus came before anything was resolved, but that was okay.
Though I do hope the cabbie comes out on top, since it looked like the van had been the problem and not the cab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home