Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bus Report #499

I caught a 22 Fillmore bus last night, after hanging out for a bit with The Teacher's Pet.
The bus was empty until we hit Potrero, and it kept filling up after that.
My first seat mate was a quiet man listening to his headphones. He had a plastic bag with him that contained two gorgeous beets and a small glass jar of honey.
He got out at Mission and was replaced by an older gentleman, who soon started talking politics with a wiry fellow with a very white beard who stood nearby. The older gentleman was named James and he was 75 years old, the man with the white beard was Bill.
"I don't want to get into it with you if its going to be a completely black and white discussion," Bill warned.
James laughed. "Man, we're all the same under the skin, I don't care none about any of that."
I wasn't paying close attention, but they both seemed to agree on everything they were talking about. Health care, how much they disliked Republicans, 'young people today'. It put a smile on my face.
Bill got out at Church Street, but not before he shook James' hand and said, "I enjoyed this, see you again soon."

The man who-looks-familiar-from-the-back got on at Duboce. I hadn't seen him in a while and had just been thinking about him in the morning, so it was good to see him. A little scruffier than usual, a little more tired than usual, but otherwise, still familiar, from the back and from the front.

There are new signs in the windows at Hotel Casa Loma (the signs call it Casa Loma Hotel). People are living there but I can't tell if it's a dorm/SRO situation or more of a hotel situation. At any rate, it is looking better than it has in a while.

And, unrelated...

My next post will be my 500th! I'd like to have a contest of sorts but no one ever enters my contests (well, except for Kathleen and Rachel that one time...), so if anyone is interested drop me a line. The prizes, if I offer prizes, will be gift certificates from Toy Boat Dessert Cafe.

4 Comments:

Blogger dani said...

I could enter! But I doubt anything I submitted (assuming you wanted us to write something) would be of any quality. :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Contest? I'm in! Are multiple entries allowed? Must I be present to win?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Okay, I guess we can have a contest. I will announce it tomorrow, I guess.
Jessie - you don't have to be present to win, you can enter multiple times, but if you do win, it means you need to make a trip to SF because the prize is a local prize!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home