Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bus Report #743

One morning early last week when I got on the 22, Lacey said, "You haven't seen those two guys that always get on when you do, have you?"
She was talking about the recently-back-from-China construction guy and his friend. I hadn't seen them in a couple of days, so I said, "You know, now that you mention it, I haven't."
Lacey stood up and craned her neck to see if any 38 or 38Ls were arriving. "Hmm," she said, "Let's see if they show up."
The bus idled in the stop, but no one seemed to mind.
A couple people dozed in the seats behind me. The world's oldest school crossing guard, Henry (but since I'd like to give him a bit more respect, let's call him by his last name, Mr. Taylor) smiled at me and waved in slow-mo. I waved back. He's just so sweet.

A 38L pulled in across the street and the construction guy's friend made a run for it and got on the bus.
"Is your friend okay?" Lacey asked him.
The construction guy's friend shrugged and shook his head - he seemed to be saying he didn't know.
Lacey waited another moment, then caught my eye in the mirror.
"Hope he's okay," she said.
I grinned and told her I hoped so, too.

Towards the end of the week we were once again waiting at the stop for the construction workers, only this time the missing half of the pair arrived without his pal.
Lacey smiled at him and said, "Hey, where've you been? I was worried!"
He smiled and nodded his head and said hello, before walking back to join his friend at a seat across from me.
"Morning," I said.
"Morning!" he replied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home