Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Bus Report #35

Many things occurred to me while on an excruciatingly crowded 22 Fillmore last night.

1. Epiphany: The 22 Fillmore most likely is not the center of everyone else’s universe, even though it sometimes feels like the center of my universe.

2. Bus drivers are scared of riders.
I have often thought this but not until last night did I know it. The bus was packed, and these awful, horrible pre-teens got on the bus. They were super loud and promptly turned on a boombox. And they would not turn it off, despite everyone’s pleas and hard stares. The kid with the boombox was standing right next to me, and the speakers were right in my ears. It was way, way too loud to deal with so I said, "Hey, can you turn that down, it’s right in my ear." And he shook his head, no.
I gnashed my teeth. "Can you at least turn it so the speakers are not right in my face?" I then asked.
Another no. Little brat. Then, a guy sitting towards the front who looked like a fat Where’s Waldo? Started yelling that someone in the back was using a laser pointer and could they stop because it would blind someone?
Which just made the kids louder.
Then some teenage girls got on and the kids yelled at each other from the front of the bus to the back. The girl’s were named Chardonnay and Sade (The singer not the marquis). I know this because of all the yelling and trash talking. Add to the bedlam the fact that the boys had just been to petco and bought fish and frogs. The kids then started taking bets on how long it would take for Lee to kill the fish like he’d killed the frog, last time.
And despite all this unrulyness, the bus driver did nothing. Not a thing.

3. Bus flirting or just passing the time?
Meanwhile, Rocking-out-on-headphones-guy is standing towards the front of the bus and everytime there’s a clearing in the crowd we are smiling, waving, and nodding at each other. At one point, our elaborate non-verbal communication reaches a crescendo, and we both burst out laughing. Then he says "see you later," as he gets off the bus at Duboce.
One of these days maybe we’ll talk for real and he’ll get a real name instead of his bus nick name.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grrg said...

Oooooooooo!! Rachel's got a bus-booooyyyyfrieeeend!! You're gonna have, like a million of his bus-babies!! Rachel and Rockin-out-on-headphones guy, sittin' a tree, bus-K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Greg--
What does a bus baby look like, exactly?
And would it have headphones, too?

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home