Friday, January 25, 2008

Bus Report #292

Today's San Francisco Chronicle reports that Mayor Newsom is using some MUNI/SFMTA funds to help pay his aides. Excuse me? Mr. Mayor, have you ever taken MUNI? Do you not understand that the money needs, NEEDS to be used to improve the system?
I'm sick of this.
The budget is tight as it is, ask any regular rider of MUNI and they'll tell you: service has been on a decline for years, while the price of a regular transfer has risen dramatically over the past few years. Buses are not on time, people evade paying their fares, and commutes have gotten longer and longer.
The Mayor's office claims the funds are being used to pay salaries of aides who are working on SFMTA-related projects.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, Mr. Mayor, I would like to invite you to spend a day with me on the bus. No cameras, no aides, no media, just you, your transfer, and the rest of us. Wear a fake mustache if you like.
Your itinerary:
Meet at my morning bus stop at 6:35 AM, and take the 38 inbound.
Wait for the 22 Fillmore before the sun comes up, maybe take the opportunity to talk to the homeless man who camps out in the bus stop. Tell the smokers who smoke in the bus shelter to go somewhere else.
Get on the 22 Fillmore. The sort of mean driver won't let you pass with just your smile and your well-sculpted hair. Pay your fare.
We'll sit in the back of the bus so you can mingle with your constituents.
I'll get out at my usual stop, but you'll continue to the end of the line, where you will then transfer to an inbound T-Third.
At 5 PM, you'll meet me at my afternoon stop.
We'll take the 10 Townsend downtown, and then switch to a 38 Regular (because the Limited is too fancy for you, sir) which we will ride through the Tenderloin up to Japantown and out to my neighborhood.
We will get out at my stop.
I will go home.
You will cross the street and wait for the 38 Regular going back downtown.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you freaking kidding me?!?!?! this is almost as funny as when he asked for everyone's resginations last fall. what a &()%*^$(%*&.

PS everytime Ricky and I are on the 38, I keep my eyes peeled for a obsevant girl in the back.

I am tired. night

10:26 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You know what? I keep my spying eyes open looking for the two of you, too!
Have a lovely weekend...

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home