Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bus Report #322

Last night I had a meeting to go to downtown.
It was late when I was finally able to leave, so I waited at the Montgomery Street stop in the dark with a few other people.
The bus came and I got a seat towards the back.
Loud kids were in the seats behind me, and a woman on her cell phone, and a scruffy, smelly man with a blank look on his face.
I pulled my book out of my bag and started to read (Robert Goolrick's The End Of The World As We Know It: Scenes From A Life). It's a good book, yet another of Alberto Fuguet's recommended reading.
If you want to check him out, here's his blog (and a website is forthcoming, where you can now watch a trailer of his latest film project!)
Our driver had an uncanny ability to manage to hit EVERY RED LIGHT on Geary. It was really, really something. I settled in for what I knew would be a long ride.
A German couple got on, wearing shiny new-looking coats. They had the same glasses.
Another scruffy man got on, shook hands with the scruffy man behind me, then went to stand in the stairwell.
We idled at more lights.
I looked wistfully at the open doors at the Edinburgh Castle.
Back in my neighborhood, the streets were quiet. My new boots made a loud 'clicking' noise against the sidewalk, which was oddly satisfying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hate when they hit all reds. I find myself internally cheering them on, "COME ON! YOU CAN MAKE THIS! FASTER!" Usually to no avail.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

All they would need to do is close the door and let people finish paying while the bus is moving... then we would catch the greens... ah, well.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, right?

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home