Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bus Report #346

This morning the smiley driver picked me up right on time.
I made a girl mad because I asked her to move her bag so I could sit down. Sorry, honey, but unless you bought your bag a transfer, you are outta luck.
The man who always reads his tattered Arabic dictionary was dozing off in his usual seat.
I saw him last night at Dalva in the Mission, and he smiled at me like he knew me.
But he doesn't know me, so I just passed him by and went to join my friend.
At Geary I waited with the annoying day laborer guy, who decided to stand right near me, smoking. No amount of hacking or coughing could get him to stop.
A woman came walking down the sidewalk and told me that the power was out at Sutter and that was why the 22s in the opposite direction were all stacked up. No buses could get up or down the hill.
Awesome.
I thanked her for the heads up and started walking down Fillmore.
I saw the older woman who always walks all the way to Mission from Presidio. I passed her by.
I huffed and puffed up the hill and stopped in front of the Alamo Square Grill to catch my breath.
I told the man standing there waiting for the bus that I didn't think anything was coming.
The next block smelled terrible, and I held my breath while I walked.
At Hermann and Fillmore I saw the large woman with the headscarf and colorful skirts. I warned her, too, and she thanked me.
I kept going.
At 16th and Dolores I saw a 22 Fillmore coming towards me, and since I was covered in sweat (totally unprofessional) I decided to ride the rest of the way to work so I could at least be dry by the time I got to work.
Total walking time: 25 minutes
And I still managed to get to work on time.

But still, screw you, MUNI, and your power outages and inability to run emergency shuttles and your inability to have the next bus screens say something about the delays.
It's just common courtesy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I saw him last night at Dalva in the Mission, and he smiled at me like he knew me. But he doesn't know me, so I just passed him by and went to join my friend."

Wow, that was unnecessary and kind of gross. God forbid he do something as egregious as send a smile of recognition in your general direction.

It's things like that that makes me hate living in the city.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home