Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bus Report #381

It's mid-November and I'm deeply enmeshed in National Novel Writing Month. As of today I am about 2,000 words behind schedule. It's a constant struggle, but at least I have The Teacher's Pet as a writing buddy this year.
When I'm not noveling, I've been in class and doing homework.
It keeps me engaged and exercises my brain. And reminds me why I am usually glad not to be enrolled in school full time.
So it's the 22 Fillmore all the way to the end of the line to get to class, and then a 28 bus to get home. The people waiting along Lombard at that time of night are an eclectic bunch: Marina types, students, homeless people, tourists, and the occasional vocal crazy person.

Yesterday afternoon on my way to class I was on a crowded 22, trying to listen to the 'House on Loon Lake" This American Life episode. I had the volume turned all the way up to drown out the loud cell phone conversations going on around me. The bus emptied out on Geary.
I looked around and saw, sitting two rows behind me, the Confederacy of Dunces guy.
I hadn't seen him in ages, but he looked the same. He got out near the Clay. His bike was locked up against a street sign. He had wound LED lights around the bike instead of using a bike light. It was cool, it looked like Christmas.

This morning's bus was on time and all the regulars were there. I have missed them the past few days, as my buses have all been late.
Catfish face man, Whitney, the woman who always wears sunglasses even when it's dark and a few other people were all sitting quietly in their usual seats.
The Watchtower ladies got on. One of them came up to me and asked if I wanted to read some good news today. I declined, politely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home