Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bus Report #410

Yesterday afternoon I took the 10 downtown to catch a 38 home. Everyone was wearing green: no surprise there, it was St. Patrick's Day ( or, if you grew up in Boston, also Evacuation Day, a holiday we always thought was suspiciously observed on the same day as St. Patrick's Day, giving the people of Boston a day off work so they could... What? Observe the evacuation?).
I liked seeing all the different shades of green, from the bright greens to the muted grass color of a woman's business suit (the woman was running to catch CalTrain).
I had on a green shirt, but I wear green a lot so it wasn't on purpose.

A man with a big frame pack got on the bus and told the driver, "I need to get to my job at Embarcadero." The man made no move to pay. Instead he said, "I'll get you back the next time."
This seemed to work for the driver, or maybe he was just too tired to argue, because he let the man on.
The man seemed a little twitchy but didn't get weird until we hit Brannan Street. A woman got on and walked towards the back of the bus. The man followed her with his eyes and then raised up his arms and made a 'shoo'ing gesture in her direction. He also made a blowing noise, like the wind. Huh. He stood up and immediately started losing his balance, almost landing in the laps of the people sitting across from him. He stared at a girl who was playing with her igadget, and bent down to get a better look. She shot him a 'get away from me' glance and he did, sort of. He hovered above my seat, his frame pack swinging dangerously close to my head. He 'shoo'ed a couple more passengers and mumbled something I couldn't hear. He got out at Howard.

I made a seamless transfer to a 38L and got a window seat. An older couple sat down on the seats in the middle of the accordioned section of the bus, then got up and sat elsewhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger tangobaby said...

When I read this particular brand of bus story, the old N-Judah just keeps looking better and better.

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I've been an infrequent reader here but I will try to keep more up to date as your stories are really enjoyable.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I've been an infrequent reader on your blog, too, but I've always liked it...
Take care!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how often you can tell a bus driver "I'll get you back next time" before he bothers to tell you no.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home