Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bus Report #400

As seen on the bus lately...
Many, many Obama shirts and buttons on the bus (22 Fillmore, 33 Stanyan, 38 Geary) yesterday. Someone had a Michelle Obama shirt which was pretty neat, and everyone was talking about it.
"I got it in Oakland," the boy said. "I guess that's why I haven't seen anyone else in it here in SF."
A crowd of college freshman girls lamented that fact and continued to gush over his shirt.

Early mornings on the 22 Fillmore with:
Catfish face man
Whitney
Roche Bobois guy
Cor-O-Van guy


On my way home from downtown last week (Can't remember what from...Volunteer gig? Meeting?) I sat in the back of a crowded 38 Geary. People had on headphones, read newspapers, books, and played with their igadgets. The odd thing was, everyone had a smile on their face.
At one point, a man lumbered back to the only empty seat, holding his hand out in front of him and trying to wipe it clean with a tissue. He had a disgusted look on his face. A girl was sitting across from him, headphones on and seemingly staring off into oblivion. She reached into her purse and took out a handi wipe, and offered it to him. The man sitting next to her, a youngish guy with curly brown hair and matching beard, stylish jacket and tie, jeans and dressy brown sneakers smiled at the exchange. I smiled at him.
The man across from me sneezed into his copy of the Chron. I said, "bless you," to him.
He lowered his paper, and smiled.
The guy with the handi wipe thanked the girl, who was back to her zombied state. He told the man with the beard that he liked his shoes. More smiles all around.
It was funny, everyone so laid back and friendly on a late night 38. But I liked it.

In honor of my 400th post, I'll award a $5 gift certificate to Toy Boat Dessert Cafe to someone who can send me the best tale of MUNI-related kindness by this Friday. You can email it to me or post it in the comments. Leave your email so I can contact you if you're the winner.

7 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

Congratulations on Post #400! That's a lot of Muni rides.

I don't have a story of Muni-related kindness, off the top of my head, but for whoever the lucky winner is, Toy Boat rocks.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, TK!
Toy Boat is so much fun... Makes me feel like a kid again even just walking by...

12:54 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I have been a big fan of your observations since day one (or, well whenever I found your site).

You provide such a wonderful window into daily life in our Fair City, and for that, I thank you.

-Greg

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Greg! I really appreciate it. I've always enjoyed N-Judah Chronicles, too!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Marcia said...

Wow! 400th, that's great. Love your observations, keep them coming.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its not in on time but a little old man gave up his seat to me when I was 9+ months pregnant and refused to not let me take it.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Specimen Box said...

Wow! 400, that's impressive, congratulations. You should have a party when you reach 500. Turning a ride on MUNI into poetry, who'd have thunk it? Keep the seats warm and the wheels turning. Thank you.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home