Friday, April 26, 2013

Bus report #744

Last night I went to meet the Teacher's Pet and some friends at the Exploratorium, for the Teacher's Pet's birthday.
I took an F Market from downtown, and sat beside the teenage daughter of the Dutch family sitting in the seats nearby.
A few stops before the Ferry Building, an older woman and her daughter got on, and I hopped up to offer the woman my seat.
She laughed and said, "Oh, I can stand. Do you think I can't?"
"No way!" I said. "I'm sure you could stand all the way to the end of the line, but who'd want to?"
She laughed again and sat down.
A seat opened up a couple rows back, and I sat down next to the Dutch family's mom. She smiled.
When the streetcar stopped at the railway museum, the people in front of us got out so the older woman and her daughter moved over to take the empty seat.
The Dutch woman said something about the seats, and moved her hands in a circular motion.
"Yeah," I said, "It's like streetcar musical chairs."
She laughed.
Soon we were at the Exploratorium stop, and a couple kids tried to pry open the doors before we'd pulled in to the stop.
The older woman and her daughter shook their heads. "We're not even at the stop," the older woman said. "That's why they can't get out!"
Finally we arrived at the stop and I disembarked, and crossed the street to the new Exploratorium, on Pier 17.
If my favorite San Francisco-based chocolate factory (TCHO!) had been open, I would have stopped in, but they weren't, so I waited for the birthday party folks and watched the light begin to change over the Embarcadero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home