Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bus Report #298

It should never take me an hour to get to work.
I know I say this a lot, but it's true. 40 minutes, tops, is my usual commute time.
I left home a little earlier than usual, figuring we'd have the usual MUNI freak-out due to the rain.
My 38 was crowded and the driver was not the smiley driver, but the guy who drives the bus that arrives before smiley's.
I got down to Fillmore and there were already a couple commuters waiting, along with the man who lives in the bus stop and another man who is usually crashed out across the street but must have been rousted by the Clean Team earlier, or something.
We waited.
When the 22 Finally came, it was late. The sort of mean driver didn't acknowledge my "good morning", per usual.
The Original Chef, the catfish face man, and the man who looks familiar from the back all got on at their usual stops.
The teens, all of them, got on at McAllister.
At Hermann and Haight the wires came down.
It took almost 10 minutes for the sort of mean driver to fix it, in the meantime she didn't tell us what was going on, so we sat in the dark on the bus, with no idea how long it would take to get up and running again.
As often happens, herd mentality settled in and over half the riders got out of the bus… To stand in the rain! Huh? The two buses behind ours were not going to be able to go anywhere until we moved, anyway. So they got wet and lost their seats for nothing.
The lights came back on and suddenly everyone who had just gotten out wanted to get back on.
We crawled down Church to 16th.
All the while I hoped we wouldn't fall off the wires again at the corner, which is infamous for that.
People got on, shaking wet umbrellas indiscriminately.
The creepy talking to himself all the time guy got on, and said hello to me (or to himself?).
I checked the time when I got out of the bus at my stop.
I'd been in transit for an hour exactly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

My name is Brittney, and I am the station blogger at the local CBS affiliate in San Francisco. I run the Bay Area blog aggregator known as Eye on Blogs, which is a daily summary of what bloggers in the region are talking about. Today I featured one of your blog posts. Just wanted to give you a heads up, and welcome you to come check out our new digs. I hope you find other interesting blog entries written by people in the area, and encourage you to comment on what others are saying.

Thanks, and keep up the great work on your blog.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks, Brittney!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home